Helping St John’s Hospice Wirral Light Up A Life for 5th Year Running
We were delighted to donate two way radios for the Light Up a Life event on Dec 10 2023, which has been hosted by Wirral Hospice St John’s every year since 1996. Light up a Life has raised much-needed money for the hospice and this year commemorates 27 years of this touching ceremonial light switch on.
Light up a Life provides a heartfelt and inspirational way to honour and remember loved ones who have passed away while also contributing to the care that Wirral Hospice St John’s provides. You can sponsor one of the 10,000 lights adorning the gardens of the hospice to remember a loved one of your own and receive a unique Light up a Life card. Their names will also be listed in the Books of Honour and keepsake tree decorations which can be pre-ordered.
“Families gathered in our garden to remember cherished loved ones no longer in our lives. A poignant occasion; thank you so much to everyone for your support. It means such a lot.” – Wirral Hospice St John’s
For such a significant event with huge importance on the timing of the light switch on, radio communication was vital and so we were pleased to be able to contribute some radio units for organisers to keep the evening running smoothly. This year was particularly crucial as stormy weather had threatened to cause the hospice to cancel the annual service just a day before. Glyn Jones, the team leader for hospice facilities, worked through the early hours of Sunday to make sure that marquees set up for fundraising events and refreshments were securely fastened to the ground.
How can I get involved?
Sponsor a Light
Even though the official switch-on has taken place, you can still visit the Hospice throughout December and view the breathtaking light display where 10,000 lights shine out brilliantly from the trees and buildings surrounding the hospice in the evenings in the run-up to and throughout Christmas Time.
Donations and sponsorship are still being taken, with donations received throughout the rest of this month will have loved ones’ names included in an extra Book of Honour that will be printed out on Fri 22 Dec.
If you would like to sponsor a light in memory of a loved one or loved ones, please sponsor a light online or please call the Fundraising Office on 0151 343 0778 (Mon to Fri 9 am-5 pm).
Find out more about the wonderful work Wirral Hospice St John’s does on their website.
See what people have to say about Light Up A Life
- “Another beautiful service & a light shining brightly for my lovely dad”
- “I’ve just sponsored a light in memory of my father in law who passed at the hospice on boxing day 2019”
- “Thank you so much each and every one of you for the most heartfelt evening x 🙏”
- “Shine on Bri …the light of my life “
- “thank u so much u looked after him very well xx”
- “What a great event so nice to see so many people attend the lights look amazing. Glad I volunteer for such a great organisation ❤️”
- “Wirral Hospice St John’s is an amazing place, helping patients family and friends thank you so much for all you do!! 💖”
- “We couldn’t be there but we are never forgetting how you looked after us, Martin’s family, 23 years ago…. Today is his birthday. Much love from us, Janine and the girls ⭐️♥️”
- “Lovely service as always xx”